data, awards, description –
AJ+C’s design brings a modern, unique building to life, effortlessly finding its place within a long-established school.
A multi-purpose school facility AJ+C was commissioned to design the new Abbotsleigh multi-purpose sports hall and sports field. There was also requirement for a 166-vehicle parking area, function rooms, change facilities, an artificial turf sportsfield, grandstand space and reconfigured access roads, pathways and landscaping.
Innovative, sustainable, comfortable The facility’s southern end curves to transition into an extended roofline beyond the actual building. This creates a visually remarkable profile and conveys a sense of energy and movement. Ecologically sustainable design is incorporated throughout, with natural ventilation a key feature of the design. The building’s major sporting hall will not require mechanically assisted heating or cooling.
Functional and integrated The building provides the large volume required for team sports, while featuring facades broken down in scale by louvers or screens to blend into the school environment. Materials and finishes harmonise with the surrounding bushland palette.
- Site18,752 m²
- GFA3,240 m²
- 2018World Architecture News (WAN) Awards
Sport in Architecture Award
- 2017Ku-Ring-Gai Council People's Choice Awards
Contemporary Design Commendation
- 20162016 Timber Design Award
for Timber Flooring
- 20162016 Learning Environments
for New Construction Major Facility
- 2016Australian Institute of Architecture William E Kemp Award
Best Education Building in NSW
- 2016Australian Institute of Architecture Award
news, video, testimonials –
- Media Release: AJ+C multipurpose sports hall wins top NSW educational architecture award