data, awards, description –
The warmth and character of Flourmill Studios’ industrial past pervade this atmospheric conversion tailored to the inner city’s creative businesses.
A modern industrial vibe Flourmill Studios offer a haven for creativity in Sydney’s vibrant inner west. The design makes full use of the scale and history of a disused nineteenth-century flourmill. Original timber columns and beams, historic fire doors and the drive shafts, wheels and belts that once powered the mill are features of this beautifully rejuvenated space.
An exciting working environment Soaring warehouse-style areas with concrete ceilings and steel beams frame the studio.Specially designed enamel signs complete the carefully considered interpretation of this landmark building.
Looking to the future With carpets made from recycled PET plastic bottles, bicycle lock-up facilities, a changing room and a pod for the car-share system GoGet, the project responds to the needs of the present while celebrating the Flourmill’s former life.
- ClientPodcorp Holdings Pty Ltd
- GFA3000 m²
- CostA$5.5 million
- 2010Property Council of Australia
Finalist for Innovation & Excellence Award for Heritage & Adaptive Reuses
- 2008Marrickville Medal
awarded in recognition of the conservation of the cultural heritage of Marrickville
news, video, testimonials –
- Flourmill Studios receives 2009 Marrickville Medal
- News article: ‘Ready to rise – flour mill studios’
- Press Release: Flourmill Studios Shortlisted for Heritage and Adaptive Reuse Award
- Press release: Flour Power – Former Mill Converts to Studio Strata