data, awards, description –
The Kerrie Murphy Building, with its organic pebble shapes and bold street presence, is a joyous response to its use as an urban centre for learning and play.
Smart design Completed for the cost of an ordinary school hall, the playful and original Kerrie Murphy Building houses an arts and crafts facility, a library, staff offices and an indoor sports hall. On its roof sits an outdoor playground shaded by photovoltaic cells, ensuring every inch of premium urban space is used to full capacity. Inspirational and high-tech Up-to-the-minute engineering provides natural ventilation systems, which are adaptable to prevailing winds, and e-glass technology for insulation. Solar energy and water are harvested for the school’s use. A sense of fun This unique building energises the school community with its spirit of adventure and possibility. Inspired by the massive forms of Ultimo’s warehouses, and yet bringing something new to the streetscape, the Kerrie Murphy Building makes an inspiring addition to the neighbourhood.
- ClientInternational Grammar School
- CostA$4 million
- Site347.7 m²
- GFA1,308 m²
- 2014WAN 2014
- 2011Viridian Vision Awards
Commercial Energy Efficiency Category
news, video, testimonials –
- Press Release: World Architecture Festival winner’s ideas explored further in new building for The International Grammar School Sydney
- Press Release: New Primary school building for The International Grammar School wins major industry award
- Press Release: Ten best education buildings in the world – Allen Jack+Cottier’s Sydney primary school shortlisted in prestigious 2012 World Architecture Festival awards
- Press Release: Allen Jack+Cottier’s Kerrie Murphy Building Highly Commended in World Architecture News Awards