data, awards, description –
Innovative and cutting-edge, AJ+C’s Mancave design demonstrates how modelling and fabrication technologies are used to create a sophisticated bespoke retreat.
The space Part of the Surry Hills Warehouse, an AJ+C-designed home renovation project, Mancave is a sculptural carbon-fibre pod positioned on the warehouse’s upper floor. Featuring a semi-gloss finish of resin-faced foam, the cave is separated into two spaces.
The bedroom A bed sculpted from the wall takes pride of place in the bedroom. A leather-clad floor and recessed LED lighting snake around the base of the room.
The ensuite The ensuite, incorporating a shower area, built-in vanity, freestanding basins and bathtub, provides all the features of more traditional design. Conversely, the skylight exemplifies its originality, recreating the effect of a shaft of light filtering down through a canyon.
The design As the warehouse’s central feature, the pod organises and informs the spaces around it, while providing a private cocoon for rest and privacy.
news, video, testimonials –
- Habitus: A Winning Warehouse
- Contemporist: This Warehouse-To-Living Conversion Includes A Sculptural White Pod With A Hidden Bedroom Inside
- Designboom: aj+c inserts molded white cocoon into renovated warehouse home in sydney
- The Australian, Life: John Winning converts a Surry Hills warehouse into man cave
- Arch Daily: Inner City Warehouse / Allen Jack+Cottier
- The Design Files: The Design Files: John Winning (Feat. Inner City Warehouse)