data, awards, description –
The floating steel canopy of the Milson Island Indoor Sports Hall is an inventive, poetic response to place with an inbuilt sense of fun.
Shaped by landscape The graceful curved roof of the hall is attuned perfectly to its island site on the Hawkesbury River.Reacting to prevailing winds, heating and cooling itself as required, separating leaves and branches, collecting and filtering rainwater, it is a shelter shaped by local conditions.
Elemental and exciting A narrow entrance, framed by two dark service pods, opens dramatically onto the light-filled hall. Once inside, continuous glazing beneath the floating roof provides playing children with a constant connection to the bush landscape.The proscenium arch makes a dramatic backdrop to the children’s theatre performances, both inside the hall and out by the campfire at night.
A distinctive design ethos The project is Michael Heenan’s follow up to his World Architecture Award-winning Berry Sports Hall, bearing the same hallmarks of playfulness, originality and sensitivity to site.
- clientSport and Recreation, Community’s NSW
- costA$2.7 million
- GFA670 m²
- 2013Silver Medal
IOC/IAKS Award (Highest in the category)
- 2012National Australian Steel Institute (ASI) Awards
Buildings - Small Projects category
- 2012Australian Steel Institute (ASI) Awards NSW & ACT Buildings
Small Projects category
- 2012National Australian Institute of Architects (AIA)
COLORBOND® Award for Steel Architecture
- 2011Timber Design Awards
Commended: Interior Fitout Award - Commercial
- 2011Master Builders National Excellence in Building and Construction Awards
National Commercial/Industrial Construction Award – under $5M
- 2011Australian Institute of Architects (AIA)
Commendation for Public Building
news, video, testimonials –
- Press Release: Little Aussie sports and recreation hall wins silver at 2013 International Design Olympics
- Financial Review: Sports centre awards
- SB: Hawkesbury Style, Milson Island Indoor Sports Hall
- Press Release: Milson Island sports hall wins top NSW industry accolades
- Press Release: Milson Island wins 2012 Steel Design Awards NSW / ACT
- Press Release: Aussie Sports Pavilion set to tackle World’s Best Sports Buildings
- Press Release: Allen Jack+Cottier’s latest sports facility wins prestigious architecture Commendation Award
- Press Release: Milson Island Indoor Sports Stadium – Brooklyn, NSW, Australia
- Press Release: Award winning architect Michael Heenan scores double judging honours