data, awards, description –
AJ+C’s distinctive design for the new Burcham Apartments in Crewe Place, Rosebery achieves a fine balance between heritage and contemporary architecture.
Design Excellence AJ+C won a City of Sydney-run Design Excellence Competition. We were the only architects to propose a design to reuse the former Wrigley’s warehouse building, prior to its formal recognition as a heritage building. The new development is named in honour of the architect of the original Wrigley’s building, Burcham Clamp.
Adaptive Re-use – Paying homage to the past The new design embraces the site’s unique history, re-using the former 1918 Wrigley’s Gum Factory building as residential apartments, then adding two new 4 and 5 storey apartment buildings, comprising 99 apartments in total across the three buildings.
Elegant Interiors Interiors, also designed by Allen Jack+Cottier, blend the industrial heritage of the building with the late 20’s early 30’s character of its architecture whilst making the most of the original features. The spaces inside the existing building are kept ‘raw’ with polished concrete floors; exposed high concrete ceilings; unusual and elegant ‘mushroom’ capital columns; and abundant light.
- ClientStable Innovations Rosebery Pty Ltd
- Site5,568 m²
- GFA9,187 m²
- 2019UDIA Awards
Excellence Awards in Medium-Density Development-Above 75 Dwellings category
- 2019Australian Institute of Architecture Award
- Commendation in Heritage Architecture
- 2018Sustainability Awards
Best Interior Architecture
news, video, testimonials –
- The Urban Developer: Rosebery’s ‘The Burcham’ A Stable Example Of Modern Sustainable Living
- habitusliving: The Burcham in Rosebery is a planned luxury residential development that’s equal parts challenging convention, and recalling the past.
- The Fifths Estate: The Burcham apartments in Rosebery
- The Burcham shortlisted three times in the 2019 UDIA Awards
- Domain, Australian Financial Review: Domain AFR: What are buyers looking for? (feat. The Burcham)